Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Working with the iPod Touch on the Go

My trusty Treo 755p is still with me at all times; however, I have been trying to minimize it use in favor of using my month old iPod Touch.

The iPod Touch is diffidently a much better media player than the Treo is. The bigger and beautiful screen makes it the best for viewing movies burned from my DVD library or Netflix.com.

The touch interface is something that just did not exist prior to the iPhone and iPod Touch debut. Now there have been devices with touch screen prior to these both; however, no other device does it quite the same as this. It makes everything that I do with the iPod Touch much more enjoyable.

Managing and listening to music and podcasts are better on the iPod. The Treo is better for getting recently released podcast because of it's always connected to the cloud ability.
It is much easier to type with the Treo than with the iPod Touch because it offers a QWERTY keyboard. I have gotten much better typing with the Touch however it is not as fast as with the Treo. It does help that the touch can autocorrect words when typing long amounts of text.
The email looks much better on the iPod because of its ability to view and render HTML; however, it can only handle my personal email while the Treo does do that plus it handles my corporate mail (Exchange).

The biggest issue I have with the iPod is that it does not have the ability to back up the entire device's content. Since the iPod Touch only become a contender as a PDA with the addition of 3rd party apps, that are only available after Jail Breaking the device, this is a big issue.

Just as with the Palm OS community, there will be developers that have buggy software that may cause the device is become unstable. I have been forced to restore the device and lose data and settings. Hopefully Apple will address the issue of buggy software and the lack of ability to back up the entire device.

Sent from my iPod Touch.

No comments: